Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Shadow of history

(google) 

For my final entry I think it best to explain my favorite place, and mine is probably Saint-Germain-des-Prés. It is a small church nestled in the heart of Paris's left bank. While it may not seem more than just another church, there are a few things you should know. First off it is the oldest church in Paris, dating back to about the 1300's, it can be seen in the "Book of Hours". It has seen many years and many wars, yet has survived them all. There are many reasons why it is special to me, for one example above its history, walking inside you are stepping through time, people form the medieval ages walked these aisle ways. It was where one of my childhood heroes was knighted. Joan of Arc herself walked into that church and was knighted there; she led all of France to freedom from Britain, at the age of 16. Saint Germain is also surrounded by famous restaurants Les Deux Magots and Café de Flore, which were the center hub for the existentialist movement and where many of the famous writers dinned.





 
(google)
But why is it important to me? I have been visiting France ever since I was little and we always stayed near it, and I grew up playing in the park just outside the church chasing pigeons, eating under the flower balcony of Les Deux Magots, but I have a story to share, one that while fairy tale it is, to little me I still hold it dear.
One day while I was playing in the park and mom was reading her book, I remember this girl sitting on a bench watching me. She had short hair that came to about the base of her neck, kind of wavy, wore a white summer dress, and looked to be about in her teen years. She didn't have much if anything with her. But she just sat there enjoying the day, but as I said before I noticed she kept an eye on me. Once I paused and looked back at her and she smiled and I shyly smiled back and waved politely. I then proceeded to run around the back of a tree in the park and pick up some rocks to finish my little stone castle I was making, and when I came back around the tree, the girl was gone. I paused and looked around to see if she left, but saw no sign of her leaving, or in the crowds on the street passing by. Before I could investigate further my mom called me back and when went on our way. Later on when we got home form our trip mom told me the story of Joan of Arc, after I had seen it on an old show called "Wish Bone" and in an instant it clicked in my young head. Sure I was young, and true I was tiny and a scatterbrain, but to this day I will tell you, I saw a guardian angel of France. Joan. And ever since when I go to Paris I visit Saint Germain and light a candle if I can in her honor. 
True it seems like a stupid child's story, but experiences like that are what give places life and breath and what make them special, their history and all their stories, true or imagined, or unbelievable. Now I say my time is up, and it is your turn to go out there and find and make some stories of your own and add to the history. Happy trails, and good travels. Bon chance.
(Google) 

No comments:

Post a Comment